• Payment support

    If you are having trouble paying your electricity, gas or water bill, you may be eligible for assistance from the Western Australian Government.

    There is also separate financial assistance for concession card holders.

    Hardship Utility Grant Scheme

    The Hardship Utility Grant Scheme (HUGS) is run by WA’s Department for Child Protection. HUGS is a State Government scheme which provides financial assistance to help people with financial difficulties pay their water, gas and electricity bills so their supply is not cut off.

    If you are eligible, HUGS may pay up to 85% of your current electricity, gas or water bill direct to your retailer. You would still need to pay the other remaining amount.

    For further information, visit Hardship Utility Grant Scheme (HUGS) website [external]

    Financial Counselling

    As well as helping people pay their electricity, gas and water bills, financial counselling services are also available, delivered by the not for profit community service sector.

    Services are free and act in the best interests of the client, free of any commercial benefit and conflict of interest.

    For further information, visit Financial Counsellors’ Association of Western Australia website [external]

    Payment Assistance

    If you're experiencing difficulty paying your power bill, your retailer may be able to provide you with flexible payment arrangements, in addition to assisting you with claiming any rebates you may be eligible for and putting you in touch with a financial counsellor.

    More information can be found at:

    How to apply

    To obtain assistance with payments or to apply for HUGS, you must contact Synergy, Horizon Power, Alinta Energy, Busselton Water, Water Corporation, Aqwest, Esperance Gas Distribution Company or Kleenheat Gas to discuss payment of your bill.

    Telephone numbers are provided below.

    • Synergy: 13 13 53
    • Horizon Power: 1800 267 926
    • Water Corporation: 13 13 85
    • Alinta: 13 13 58
    • Kleenheat Gas: 13 21 80
    • Busselton Water: (08) 9781 0500
    • Aqwest: (08) 9780 9500
    • Esperance Gas Distribution Company: (08) 9072 1422
    • Financial Counsellors’ Association of Western Australia Helpline: 1800 007 007 

    Related links

About us

Treasury plays a central role in managing Western Australia’s public sector finances and in providing expert analysis and advice on the strategies and frameworks necessary for maintaining the State’s economic and financial position.

Read More

Contact us

Postal Address
Locked Bag 11 Cloisters Square WA 6850

Main Switchboard
08 6551 2777

TTY (Hearing Impaired)
13 36 77

[email protected]

Feedback and Complaints

Our Feedback and Complaints system allows you to submit your feedback or complaint and allows us to track the required actions. Please complete the complaints and feedback form.


Annual Report

© Copyright Government of Western Australia.
All right reserved.